*Institute members receive 50% off of the tuition. Contact Amy to pay your tuition if you are an Institute member. If you aren’t a member, know you are warmly welcome to join the Institute and benefit from lifelong Institute membership today. Scholarships are also available.
How does grief impact your appetite for food?
Do you numb/starve
due to heartbreaking sorrow?
What does it mean to digest grief? What happens when food is grief? Join Amy Wright Glenn, Institute founder and Amanda Heisman, founder of Heisman Health this November as they offer up a transformative, honest, heartfelt, and healing look at the relationship between food and grief.
Mondays, November 9, 16, 23, 30th
*One need not join live as the modules are recorded and shared with participants.
Food and Grief includes the following:
- 8-hours of live (or recorded) time with Amy and Amanda ~ offered up through the AnyMeeting platform.
- One 50-minute Holding Space Consultation wherein participants are able to explore the themes of our study in a brave/safe/confidential/individual format.
- Readings drawn from Geneen Roth’s seminal book When Food is Love and Amy Wright Glenn’s book Holding Space ~ on Loving, Dying, and Letting Go. Both books are required for the course.
Participants in the Food and Grief course will explore:
- Reframing grief as a normative human process
- Linking emotional eating and/or restriction of eating to the suppression of grief and mourning
- Learning how to hold space for our own appetites, hunger, fear, body shaming, and healthy nourishment
- Reflecting on the symbolism of the lungs and colon in traditional Chinese medicine as the organs associated with grief
- Holding space for various forms of grieving ~ the loss of loved ones, former versions of one’s self, the collective pain of Covid, racial injustice, climate change etc.
- Creating a safe container to slow down, unsubscribe from oppressive body shaming scripts, and reframe nutrition
- Holding space to digest what we try to avoid, to feel the grief and feelings of loss of control, hurt, anger, regret, and sorrow
- What emotions come up as we enter into the holiday season during a global pandemic? How do rituals of gathering, family, and food connect to our experience of grief?
*The tuition for this course includes a required 50-minute Holding Space Consultation wherein participants receive one-on-one support, insight, compassion, and heartfelt reflection as they process the themes that came alive for them in the exploration of this course. Learn more about the Scope of Practice that guides this experience.
Our work is not to change what you do, but to witness what you do with enough awareness, enough curiosity, enough tenderness that the lies and old decisions upon which the compulsion is based become apparent and fall away. When you no longer believe that eating will save your life when you feel exhausted or overwhelmed or lonely, you will stop. When you believe in yourself more than you believe in food, you will stop using food as if it were your only chance at not falling apart.
Amanda Heisman, CHHC, is a Nutrition Coach & Intuitive Eating Teacher, guiding women to create joyful and easy relationships with food and body. Amanda’s clients find themselves unravelling & examining their relationship with food, body, and self ~ while “unlearning” and releasing damaging societal messages. In particular, Amanda often supports female leaders, professionals, mothers, and entrepreneurs in their authentic self-care acknowledging the complexity it takes to run a business or family and create holistic success. Having spent a decade in the corporate world, she recovered from burn-out herself and now helps others do the same. Amanda loves providing corporate wellness workshops and university events to support high-performers to be as efficient with their energy as possible. She has also supported multiple women through breast cancer recovery, as well as through conceiving after struggle with infertility (miscarriage, endometriosis, PCOS, etc.) Reach her at www.HeismanHealth.com
This course is co-sponsored by the Institute and Heisman Health.